Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Urban farm


One topic that seems to arise over and over again when discussing 'green' is self-sufficiency. Particularly urban self-sufficiency. This usually takes the form of agriculture integrated into the urban environment. In New York, this has been present for a while. I now live in the East Village and I'm amazed how many gardens and farms there are throughout this area.

This company, Plantagon, sees an entire building devoted to the production of food and other forms of plant life. This dome will have a circular internal layout to ensure that almost every plant will get direct sunlight. I think it's quite an interesting solution.

I am generally for this but it seems a little far fetched to me. These are all in the heart of the city and the land will cost a fortune to procure. I do like being able to add farmer/gardener to the list of professions that one can do in the city. Cities need a strong blue collar workforce.

Hat tip [ArchDaily]

No comments: