Friday, August 14, 2009

Facebook I vs. We

When one is in a relationship, one becomes accustomed to referring to oneself as part of a 'we.' "We are going to the mall." "We adopted the dog a few months ago." "We just got back from vacation."

One area where I do not understand the role of 'we' is Facebook. I would say about a third of my partnered friends use pictures of them and their partners in their profile pictures. Sometimes even the kids are included.

I don't get it.

To me, Facebook is fundamentally about the 'I.' What are YOU doing? What are YOU thinking about? Even if an activity is shared with people – from friends to kids – it's still experienced as on an individual level and it's that angle that is shared on Facebook.

It seems troubling to me that the only way that you can deal with others as an individual is to remind them that you are one of a unit.

Then again, I could just be grumpy single guy.

No comments: