Wednesday, January 27, 2010

iPad. Jack of all devices.

I'm not sure why that came to mind. I've only now had the chance to really catch up with the iPad announcement.

Disappointed and excited. About the same way I felt about the iPhone 2.0.

I think it was impossible for Apple to really deliver everything on everyone's wish list and you can see that on the gadget blogs. Yes I am annoyed about the lack of multitasking, no camera and the weight — a tad heavier than I would like.

But I'm writing this post on my phone and I know how I would use the iPad. Sometimes I just don't want to use my laptop, usually when it comes to reading. Case in point, I get a lot of PDF's that I have no real way to read comfortably. On the iPhone it's too small and I get annoyed. Printing it out is fine for a few pages but it's not a true solution for a book. It's cumbersome to read on a laptop due to the page orientation. I've actually turned my laptop sideways a few times but that never lasts. For books, magazines and PDF's this thing is a blessing.

LOTS of people will say there are many solutions out there that would do this. That's true. But there's always a compromise. To me, Tablet PC's are too heavy and the battery life has really been awful. And the interface was never designed to be functional without a stylus or a keyboard. Both areas are getting better but they have a long way to go.

I have more thoughts but I want to think some more. I'm excited and frustrated. But that's a good thing with Apple. They make you think.

No comments: