Saturday, January 30, 2010

More iPad thoughts

I've become more and more excited about the iPad the more I think about it and the more I read about it. Why? I think it's an entirely new paradigm and will change the way we read and the way we collaborate.

I want to address one thing. One of the loudest criticism of the device is that it's an overgrown iPhone. You people are missing the point entirely. That similarity is part of the business strategy.

Which platform has more developers and more users – Mac OS X or the iPhone? Which platform has more similarities to the iPad? There are far more iPhone developers than OS X developers and they already know how to create software that takes advantage of a touch interface.

Now onto why I think it's a new paradigm in reading and collaborating.

Reading first. It begins with a newsflash; I read more than just books. I read articles, presentations, transcripts, and even my own writing. I spend the majority of my time on my laptop reading. I love my Kindle but it has limited utility for me, which is why I find myself taking it fewer and fewer places. It's a form factor that begs for other types of content than just books but it's hard to use it that way. I used it to load it up with interview transcripts. I stopped because when you are dealing with 25 to 30 project interviews, it becomes laborious to manage. That means it's back to the laptop.

I hear complaints that it's hard to read on an LED screen. I don't know about you but I spend most of my workday reading on my laptop. I don't see how it's going to be all that different. Even when I read a lot of books, I rarely read all day. I read for a couple of hours and then I did something else. I don't think I'm all that unique in that behavior.

I know the iPad's lack of multitasking is getting panned but I think it's a good thing. It's hard to read on one's laptop without getting a barrage of stimuli – email, IM, and that 'oh I forgot I need to.' So I'm looking forward to interacting with all of my reading material in an easy to use, easy to annotate format with fewer distractions than my laptop.

Onto collaboration. Let's face it; the personal computer is personal and individual. Someone needs to own the keyboard and mouse/trackpad regardless of the screen size.

Imagine being about to work on a presentation or view a website and being able to have two people interact with it equally. There's no more 'click there... no there.' The other person can just point at what they really want to see. No more misunderstood directions or awkward passing the computer or keyboard back and forth. Working with other people becomes a lot more natural since the iPad will be more of a shared tool than the domain of one person. In the world of work and education, it will be huge.

The iPad is not an iPhone. Its' size means it will be something entirely different, even if it appears familiar. This device will revolutionize the way we interact with information. Nah-sayers just don't realize it yet. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

No comments: