Friday, May 8, 2009

Bento for iPhone



Bento is Apple's consumer database application. It's one of those applications that I purchased some time ago but just hadn't used much to date. It resides on my desktop, limiting its' utility in places I need it the most – everywhere else. I've tried other applications as semi-databases – namely Evernote. Evernote is a great app but it's PIM functionality is limited, making it difficult to process stuff that I have captured.

Then earlier this week, the pieces came together in the form of an iPhone app – Bento for iPhone. Designed to be used as both a stand-alone and in conjunction with Bento for Mac, the application is the epitome of simplicity and utility that one expects with Apple. It's loaded with pre-designed templates for a range of uses, including project management, list management, a recipe database, media database and more. Syncing is effortless. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it will improve my life in the months ahead. I do know I feel more organized already.

My only frustration – and it is a big one – is the inexcusable inability to sync iCal Tasks, one of the best parts about Bento. This feeds into a much larger irritation – the horrendous approach to task management on the iPhone. Simply put, you can sync iCal reminders but that's it. You can't manipulate those tasks on the phone. This is even more frustrating because Apple made a big deal about tasks when they released Leopard – specifically the ability to pull to-dos and notes from Mail messages quickly and easily. The iPhone OS 3.0 finally syncs notes but tasks are still MIA. WHY?! Having to use a third-party application to manage my task list is incredibly frustrating because it exists outside of my dominant workflow.

I'm off my soapbox. I'm probably going to continue grumbling about it until it appears. Hopefully soon.

No comments: