Saturday, May 23, 2009

What I'm drinking - Corazon Reposado


One of the things that I've wanted to do is explore premium tequila. I've always been a big fan of the stuff, and not solely based upon shooters imbibed in my younger days. I worked on a tequila project a few years ago and realized the gulf between the American tequila experience and the Mexican one. I resolved recently to embrace the latter for a while and see where the journey takes me.

The American experience is usually anchored in one brand - Cuervo. Say it and everyone will have a story to tell. Usually shot related. Lime and salt is involved. If not shot related then with a sweet and sour mixer. Often frozen. The stories usually end with something tragic happening. Tragic as in told to one's friends or by one's friends over and over.

The Mexican experience is a lot more dignified, even if it may result in the same or similar ending. It's the equivalent of brandy. Designed to be sipped and savored on the veranda on a nice warm night. With summer approaching I want more Mexican and far less American.

My tequila exploration started at Temple Bar. The bartender working that night is well versed in the art of premium tequila and poured a few of his favorites. It was there that I landed upon Corazon's Reposado. It's one of the smoothest tequilas I've tasted and has a lot of flavor. I drink it both on the rocks and neat with a rind of lime on the rim. Honestly though, rocks is the best.

Here's to more of this.

No comments: