Monday, February 16, 2009

Rhianna and domestic violence

The incident between Chris Brown and Rhianna has shocked and appalled me to no end. I fell in love with her after seeing 'Umbrella' and it's frightening that her life has taken such a crazy turn despite having what many consider 'it all' – beauty, talent, money, and the successful handsome boyfriend. 

It's depressing familiar to millions of women throughout the world. I have shied away from getting too personal on this blog but domestic violence is something that I have seen first-hand. It was present at the start of my parents' marriage. My brothers and I compared notes and realized that we all have some violent episode as our 'first memories.' Fortunately it stopped but not before the damage was done – to my Mom's psyche and to us as witnesses.

Domestic violence is a coward's crime and I see Chris Brown as a coward. Unable to control his emotions. Insecure enough in his own self that to feel better about himself, he uses his power to subjugate someone weaker. In many respects, it was similar to the situation between my parents. The overachiever marries a beautiful woman and proceeds to put in her a gilded cage, with violence and intimidation used to 'keep her there.'

A friend of mine specializes in domestic violence as a disease – due to the fact that each generation sees it and mimics it – and I will be interviewing her for this blog. The one good thing that will come from this is that hopefully women out there will see that even the ones we admire can be in their own personal hell. It is incredibly difficult to extract oneself from a violent situation but maybe hundreds if not thousands will muster up the strength and break free. 

No comments: