Tuesday, February 17, 2009

State of America

In the last few weeks, I have been in a blogging slump. To be honest,  I have been a little distraught by the state of the economy – national, local and personal. It has made little sense to post things that value consumption when so many people are cutting back their consumption. 


Last week, I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine yesterday on America. His point of view was that America's best days were behind us. For some reason, I just felt as though that idea was wrong.


The country that developed and populized the internet does not have its best days behind it. In fact, I think the best days are in front of us because we are seeing a sea change in how consumers relate to brands, to one another and to the world at large. Maybe people are not relating to one another in the same way as they did in the past but I think that today's network-centric life will pay dividends in many ways. Here's a few of them. 

  • I imagine we'll see an increase in bartering but on a state and national level. Even international. I wonder if local communities will go the way of Notegeld, the local 'currency' during depression era Germany ravaged by inflation. 
  • Everything DIY. If there's a stock to buy, it would be firms that help consumers and businesses make anything. Hell I may even invest in a sewing machine myself. 
  • Green alternatives will become more popular as people look for any way to reduce costs. 
  • There will be a renewed emphasis on the local store, many of which have disappeared in recent years. I know that I have been more focused on the local produce stand and buying things from the bodega, where it's price competitive. 

On the flip side, I get the sense that cities are going to be in for a rough time again, akin to the 70s and 80s.

  • High cost and high unemployment will lead to a resurgence of crime and lawlessness (my biggest fear in NY)
  • Education will suffer due to budget cutbacks
  • Every wacko with an idea will be able to rally troops and do damage

Overall I just get the sense that we'll be a far more local America than in the past, thanks to the social connections made possible through the internet. What I would love to see from the Obama administration is a great deal more support for the small business and support for re training people to pursue their dreams. Hopefully this will be the start of something big. Or rather the start of many big things. 

No comments: