Tuesday, April 7, 2009

P.U.M.A.




Picture: Engaget

GM and Segway have introduced the PUMA concept, a sit-down version of the Segway that travels up to 35 mph. I will be checking it out at the NY Auto Show this weekend, for sure.

My gut reaction when I saw it was – gosh it looks silly. But reading further, this is just the frame. It will be prettified in some shape or form. I hope so. I can see this being useful – especially here in NYC – but given the variances in weather, a glorified scooter is not really practical in areas where there's, you know, seasons.

I can see this being a cheaper Smart car and for urban dwellers only. There's no way it can handle anything more. But who knows what will come about in a year or two when they tweak the motor. This would be great with fuel cells, I must say. I'm excited to take a look at it.

I also think this makes a wonderful mobility vehicle for the disabled. My Mom has MS and it would be great for her to have this to dash to the grocery store around the corner.

No comments: