Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sleepwalking the NY Auto Show

I visited the NY Auto Show this past Friday. Sedate would be the word I would use to describe it. The last show I visited was about 6 years ago when I worked on Mitsubishi. Three or four years ago I went to Frankfurt. Compared to both shows, this one was a snooze fest. All I remember is rows and rows of similar looking cars.

I guess everyone got the memo that due to 'these times,' one must pull back from any major displays. Gone are the days of thunderous video and lighting shows. In fact, few automakers had what I would call a distinct branded area. Ones that come to mind are Scion (awesome), Chevy (meh), Mercedes (snooze), VW (minimalist) and Smart (cute). The Mini display felt typical Mini, only smaller.

I understand the need for austerity in these times but it seems like false economy to cheap out on displays at such a major industry event in one of the most important car markets in this country. I was surrounded by the general public of all ages. The buzz factor from a show like this is huge. And yet so few automakers really made an impression, which is very disappointing.

I will put together a Flickr group on pictures I thought were of interest. Stay tuned.

No comments: