Monday, September 28, 2009

Le Bon Mot: Exhibitionistic

def: compulsively attracting attention to yourself especially by public exposure or exaggerated behavior

Heh. What a great word. I think it could lead to all sorts of directions but I guess I'll discuss social media. I find it fascinating that we've become so exhibitionistic a culture. Facebook, Twitter, MySpace all allow us to reveal ourselves to the world in a way that our parents would never have. I wonder if it's a smart thing sometimes. Is it really a good move to be so revealing? People have gotten busted for lies and crimes great and small because of it. That's a good thing. It's hard to cover up a web of lies on Facebook when the inclination is to be honest. Maybe that's the point. Honesty is usually the best policy.

I've become gradually more revealing over the years. This blog is a demonstration of that. It's been a lot less painful than I thought it would be.


No comments: