Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Le Bon Mot: Learnedly

def: adv., with erudition; in an erudite manner

One ironic and irritating aspects of American politics is that the more learned one speaks, the less likely one is to get into office. We saw that in the decimation of John Kerry and there was a worry that Obama would fall to the same fate. The vast majority of voters in this country wants to know that the guy/gal at the top is someone they can drink a beer with at the bowling alley.

I've never quite understood this. Why would you not want someone smarter than you running government. After all, governing is a complex job. If it's all the same to you, I'd prefer someone with smarts doing it. At least there's a chance they will get it right.

P.S. This is the start for what I hope to be a recurring series, if not a separate blog - 'le bon mot' or the choice word, in French. This series serves two purposes – 1. to build my vocab and 2. to have something less bloggy to drive deep thought and reflection. I will be getting my word from the iPhone app Wordbook, which I believe gets their words from Wikidictionary. Sometimes the commentary will relate to current events. Other times it will just be musings from me. Look forward to the journey.

No comments: