Monday, September 14, 2009

VMA's

I've never been a huge VMA person, mainly because the focus is pop music and I tend to listen to more obscure, or at least non-American, stuff. Last night illustrated I was not missing a whole lot but I enjoyed it well enough.

Janet's tribute number was pretty awesome. It was completely natural. I remember when that song/video came out and it was great to see the two together. They have always been connected in my mind and it was great to see them connected on stage for the last time. I'm looking forward to the rehearsal footage/movie.

Of course, everyone is talking about Kanye West's poor behavior in usurping Taylor Swift's moment. It was appalling and deplorable. There's a time and a place for everything and hijacking another artist's moment is beyond the pale. Beyoncé made up for some of it by sacrificing her own moment so that Taylor could have hers. I also think Beyoncé's music number was amazing. It was truly an extravaganza.

I contrast that with Lady GaGa's number, which I didn't get. I really like Lady GaGa; her frequent costume changes were entertainment in itself. There have been many claims to Madonna's throne and while Britney is definitely up there, I don't think Britney has the same imagination. Lady GaGa has that imagination without feeling derivative. I'm sure her career will be filled with ups and downs but it will be interesting to see where she goes.

Back to Taylor, her performance was fantastic. There's nothing more NY than the subway and for her to take over an entire car was awesome. I can't imagine what it must have been like to be one of the teens that sang with her in the car.

On a communication's note, I thought the Twitter trending was an interesting twist, particularly the 'OMG, Shakira and Pink are wearing the same dress.'

No comments: