Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cell phone novel

I've been perusing my horoscopes a lot lately – usually at the end of the day so I can see what could have happened. For some reason I find it comforting. In a number of cases, the horoscope 'predicted' what happened during the day. One I shared with a friend of mine spoke to a deepening relationship with a friend. Low and behold, I spoke to friend in SF and discussed love and relationships in a way we hadn't before. I thought that was a nice coincidence.

I checked another horoscope yesterday and actually learned something new – Japanese Cell Phone novels. Here's the horoscope, which I can't link to directly as the days are not given a unique link:

Some of the best-selling Japanese novels in recent years have been composed by young authors entirely on their cell phones. The small screens encourage narratives that are animated by terse rhythms. Flowery descriptions are rare and character development happens fast. I believe that in the coming weeks you will have a capacity akin to the cell-phone storytellers, Pisces. You'll be able to compress complex material into simpler forms; you'll have a knack for being very creative as you cut away frills and strip things down to their basics.

Of course, being the researcher that I am, I found this article about the genre from the NYT. Does anyone have experience reading these? I plan on seeing if I can get my hands on one. Maybe even write one :)

In any case, I think this horoscope is what I do – take consumer stories and simplify them. It's wild to see such alignment in 'the stars.' I don't intend to live my life in the shadow of the horoscope. But it's nice to take a step back and see life from a different vantage point.

No comments: