Wednesday, March 11, 2009

KCMO & Walmart


IMG_0384
"Acres of WalMart for as far as the eye can see"
Originally uploaded by mitchsfo

Time flies! I can't believe it's Wednesday already. I've been in Kansas City since Monday. KC is an interesting place, at least on the face of it. It's been hard hit by the recession, with lots of homes for sale/rent. Quite a few empty storefronts. I guess it's like the rest of America but everyone looks so unhealthy. I'm working on a diet study and if there's any group in need of one, it's folks in this town.

As a NY'er I haven't been in many WalMarts outside of visits related to work. The two in KC that we've visited are HUGE. Easily as wide if not wider than as a NYC avenue.

I know this is a silly idea. But in the spirit of getting Americans to shape up, I would love to see WalMart and other big box retailers integrate a track or dedicated walking space around their stores. Right now, it seems as though the only exercise many WalMart shoppers get is shopping. Might as well make it part of the experience. They could offer a 1% discount off your groceries for each lap.

No comments: