Friday, March 20, 2009

IPhone 3.0 - Eliminating the desktop?

People who know me and readers of this blog, who may be one and the same, know that I am in love with my iPhone. I'm pragmatic about it – it isn't for everyone due to some feature lags – but in general, it's a great device.

One thing struck me with the iPhone 3.0 announcement on Tuesday. All of the new functions are taking the iPhone closer and closer into 'computer land.'

I say this because of how I use the device. There are some things that are just better done at my desktop. Serious web surfing is one of those things as it's easier to take a snippet of a website and mark it up/send it/save it. The new cut and paste function finally limits the need to do that at home.

Entering more than a few lines of text is frustrating thanks to the cramped keyboard. The landscape keyboard capability – combined with copy/paste/undo – will streamline that process. I'm looking forward to having a fully functional Office-like suite on my iPhone.

iPhone aside, it's also hard not to get excited about the direction of the Mac platform. It's clear these are OS X improvements that can live on any device. I'm excited about the Macs/systems coming out in the near future.

No comments: