Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sound of Silence


Sunrise Atlanta
Originally uploaded by mitchsfo

I have a brutal schedule here in Atlanta. 8.30 start. Three interviews a day, ranging from 10a to 8p. Roughly an hour in between each one. My writing hand is so tired; I don't think I've written this much since my college finals.

It got me thinking about one of the things I cherish more than anything when I'm in-field. Silence. I've returned to the room and I want nothing but quiet. The only thing I hear is the occasional neighbor, the HVAC fan and some faint traffic noise. That's it. It's glorious. The last thing I want to do is have a conversation with someone – be that online or off.

In fact, when I'm not in NY, I realize how noisy the city can be. The ventilation fan for the ground floor restaurant turns on at 8am and goes off anywhere from 1 to 3 in the morning. I hear random phone conversations and laughter outside. My dog goes nuts when he hears anything out of the ordinary – growling and woofing a few times a day.

So while my schedule is rough, these hours of silence are heaven sent.

No comments: