Friday, January 2, 2009

Corian Confinement



This is a small space concept called OrganiCube by an Austrian designer Christian Precht. It's a 3m cube. Two of many pictures are here – a cross section as well as one showing the entrance, the workspace and the 'stairs' to the bed. I encourage you to check out others. 

I've sat on this post for a while because I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I want to love it but I just can't. It's very space age, Jetsons, Star Trek, which is a plus in my book. But it seems awfully cold and slippery, almost like minimalist jail. Being 'chiseled' from Corian – the countertop material – doesn't help. It's like living in an Ice Hotel but without the cool story to tell your friends.  
If it were fashioned from bamboo or some other natural material, I think I'd like it more. Thoughts?

Hat tip [Dezeen]

No comments: