Monday, January 19, 2009

Midlife

The New Year is always bittersweet for me because it counts down two months to the date of my next birthday. I'll be 40 this year and I'm in the midst of a full-blown midlife crisis. Since few people read this blog nowadays, it's not that big of a deal to pour my soul out.

Hitting 40 is like a rude awakening. Time slaps you in the face and says – wake up. You are not a child anymore. It's hard to wake up though. Being young and cute is just so much more fun. But all good things must come to an end. And I don't mind the end of childhood, at the end of the day. I can't say it was always fun but it was certainly an experience. 

I've managed to remain single for much of my life. Not because I haven't wanted to be in a relationship but rather I wanted to explore, question and confirm. Explore the world on my terms and see the best and worst it has to offer. Question preconceived notions and firm beliefs. Some of them have been proven to be valid and others have proven to be dismissible. And confirm the genuine goodness that exists in all of us.

I've sat across from many different people in cities throughout the country and in parts of the world. Good ideas and good insights can come from the most unexpected places and it never ceases to amaze me. 

As I speed towards the next 40, I want to continue to do what I have always done. Never stop learning. Never stop questioning. And when faced with two paths, chose the optimistic one. On March 1, I'll raise my glass to a life explored. I hope you do the same on my behalf. 

No comments: