Sunday, June 21, 2009

Handmade




Above is an iPhone game called Parachute Panic [iTunes link]. It's hard to tell it's a game because the hand drawn graphics – from the grid paper background to the characters. Doodle Jump is another game that uses hand drawn characters for the game.

I love it this trend in gaming. And in living.

There's been much of the trend of handmade but I think it's a huge one, especially now. This economy is forcing everyone to go back to basics and use whatever skill one has to make a living or bolster reduced earnings. Games like these are the work of a few people who have the patience and autonomy to do what they want.

Similarly, I've been exploring Etsy, the online shop supporting individual crafters throughout the world. One can even search for local shops. There's little 'risk' because the prices are comparable to mass brands and in some cases much cheaper. I've already purchased a few things that I will spotlight if they perform well.

It's not lost on me the importance of the internet, computers, and phones. They have changed the course of human history in so many ways, I've lost count. I love how it empowers the small and keeps the big honest. Such a wonderful thing.

No comments: