Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Is the social networking bar really that low?

Dunkin Donuts released an iPhone app today. It makes it easier for 'runners' – otherwise known as interns – to capture orders for Dunkin Donuts.

Their press release calls it a 'social networking application.' Really? So does that mean every order taker is social networking?

Is the bar for social networking so low that any application that impacts more than one person is considered a social networking application?? Where is the exchange of information and ideas? "OMG you like jelly donuts too??" doesn't feel like its playing in the same park as Facebook. I could be wrong.

I'm all for being topical and relevant but this is a stretch to me. But I'm sure those iPhone wielding interns – I mean Runners – will appreciate fewer tantrums over an incorrect ratio of coffee and milk.

Hat tip [PC World]

No comments: