Friday, June 5, 2009

iPhone 3.0

Everyone's bonkers over what will be released next week, likely a new iPhone. Honestly I can't wait and I'm sure the new one will be in my hands within the next three months, as senseless as it sounds.

The more I use the device, the more it feels as though I'm carrying a computer everywhere. I'm astounded at the sophistication of the apps that are being released now. At first it seemed as thought it would be just 'small potatoes,' the kind of apps that were on the Palm. I found many Palm apps to be nice and useful but nothing that exciting.

To me, the proof of the iPhone's capabilities are in the pudding – how has my life changed since I purchased it. I can say without hyperbole that the iPhone was influential in my losing roughly 15 pounds in the last six months, thanks to programs such as Lose It, monitoring my caloric intake, and iFitness, which helps me track my workout routine. These tools have always been available via pen and paper or using a spreadsheet. But I've always run into problems with the manual methods. I always have my phone on me so I rarely forget to use either of those programs, which is a fantastic thing.

To me, the thing that will make it perfect is the upcoming hardware pairing – specifically a keyboard. I may never need to take my laptop anywhere again if I'm able to pair a keyboard with my phone and I'm able to use a good 'Office' document creator and viewer.

Interesting times ahead.

No comments: