Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Monocle and multi-channel media



Seems as though every media geek loves Monocle, that media brand developed by Wallpaper* genius Tyler Brûle. I started reading it about a year ago and while I haven't tipped over into obtaining a subscription, I do purchase it fairly regularly. If you haven't read about the creation of the website, please read this article from someone intimately involved. 

I think of Monocle as an intelligent USA Today of international business, politics and style. It's perfect for the ADD propensity of its audience, since it can be read in little bursts - say at the airport waiting for one's plane - or in long engagements. I also love its' point-of-view, which I think is 'a good idea can come from anywhere,' thanks to a very global remit, just like Wallpaper*

One of the most intriguing aspects of Monocle is the Shop, curated by or developed in collaboration with their editorial staff. The Monocle store has everything that a glamorous international jet-setter could want – clothing, bags, furniture, and personal items. Monocle have opened their own store in London, which I hope to visit sooner than later. I hope they do at least a pop-up store in NY. 

One of the delightful aspects of shopping at Tretorn was the appearance of Monocle's Porter collaborated luggage line, complete with copies of the magazine strewn casually about just in case one hadn't heard of it before. Nice. It was great to be able to see the line in-person. 

The experience, and the Monocle property itself, got me to thinking about journalism and the multi-channel world. I'll post more on that soon enough. 

No comments: