Monday, December 8, 2008

Small Space Living

I hung out with two friends of mine last night, one of whom lives in a VERY small space. In fact, it's probably the same size as one of my dorm rooms in college – a lofted single that I had as a senior. Tiny. Can't be wider than 7' and longer than 20'. The 'flat' doesn't have a kitchen but she cooks almost everything using her hot plate, microwave etc. It's cheap but it's private and right in the heart of the Village. 

My friend lives in a space not much bigger than many of the Tumbleweed Houses.

Jay lives in a 89 square foot house. It costs about $36k. Pretty much everything is multi-functional. Think about his lifestyle. Takes probably an hour to clean. He can move his house anywhere he wants. And, it's paid off. When he wants to retire, just pop it into a container, ship it to some island or warm coastline and boom.

Those who know me well know that one of my secret wishes is to edit down my possessions into a steamer trunk and travel the world. Maybe in a few years. But part of it comes from a desire to return to a simpler life, which I assume will be all the rage soon enough. 

I'd love to do a research project where I toss a few families – well maybe couples – into homes like these. 

  • What would they learn about themselves? 
  • How would it impact how their future behavior when they return to their comparatively luxurious space? 
  • Would they think of themselves as poor because they have so little space or rich because they are closer, less frantic and more adventurous? 
  • Would they rely on brands in the same way? 
  • What technology would they rely on? 
Thinking about hospitality, would there be a market for a hotel complex made of little homes like these? I bet there would be if they were marketed as 'eco-hotels.' Now there's a new business idea!

No comments: