Saturday, December 6, 2008

RUMBLE! Whole Foods vs. Fresh Direct

As much as Whole Foods (WF) may hate to hear it, I have drastically reduced how often I shop there and what I buy. I've been a huge fan of Fresh Direct (FD) lately. Their ready-meals seem to be of better quality – mainly in the taste arena – compared to WF. One reason is FD partners with area restaurants to offer more interesting meal selections than in most supermarkets, WF included. I've saved between $30 to $40 thanks to the switch and am looking to bring that down even more. 

So you can bet I chortled when I received a marketing email from FD this morning comparing their prices with WF and pointing out an average $30 savings. Ouch! It will be interesting to see how WF's brand image will change, if at all. Also interesting will be how they can sustain their momentum when their core customer base is being buffeted by some pretty strong winds. 

No comments: