Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Researching disappointment

As a researcher, the idea of focusing on consumer disappointment intrigues me. It's quite common to ask consumers what they like and dislike about the products and services with which they interact. What if we start talking about delight and disappointment? Delight has been part of the brand/consumer aspiration for many marketers but focusing on disappointment is less widespread. 

As an example, my iPhone voice reception is disappointing but I wouldn't say it's something I dislike, because it works most of the time. I dislike the fact there is no "cut & paste" but I don't consider it a disappointment.

The next opportunity I get I will compare and contrast delight/disappointment and like/dislike. I am making the assumption that by asking both, I will get a more complete picture of the relationship consumers have with the product/service/brand. 

Something to think about as the year progresses. What do you think?

No comments: