Friday, December 12, 2008

US Morality

I have a big post upcoming on a lecture I went to at the MoMA, at the suggestion of a friend of mine. I was going to avoid politics in this blog but what the hell. 

The lecture was given by Howard Gardner. He is a Harvard Professor of Cognition and Education and is known for his work on multiple intelligences. His premise is that there are seven intelligences – linguistic, logic/mathematic, spatial, kinesthetic, musical, internpersonal and intrapersonal, and naturalist. I'm currently reading some of his papers so I'll be able to speak to this a little more intelligently soon enough. 

He mentioned something that really cuts to the core of the division in this country, in my opinion. He said this country is the first that was founded on the concept of moral freedoms vs. moral restrictions. What is Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness if not the ultimate in moral freedom. 

The crux of the division in this country lies in how one defines happiness at the various levels in our society – familial, neighborhood, locality, state and nation. And who gets to make the definition.

No comments: